Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Voting Information

About Absentee Voting

You have the right to vote when you are overseas!

Voting is a constitutional right that American citizens eighteen years and older can freely exercise. The Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) covers all active-duty members of the Uniformed Services and their families, members of the merchant marine and their families, and US citizens who reside overseas. The UOCAVA assists Americans in exercising their right to vote. To obtain information about the voting process, please check

Federal Post Card Application (FPCA):

Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot (FWAB):

Absentee voting week is September 26th through October 3th, 2016.  Please visit the American Citizen Services during working hours to hand in your ballot, if you have not already done so on-line.

Now all U.S. citizens can receive their blank ballots electronically. Depending on the state in which you are eligible to vote, you may get your ballot by email, fax, or internet download. To start, go to to complete a new Federal Post Card Application (FPCA), print and sign the form, and then return it to your local election office in the United States. Some states also allow Americans living overseas to submit their ballots electronically. We recommend overseas U.S. citizens get in the habit of completing FPCAs each January. You should include your email address on the form so it's easier for your election officials to reach you if there is a problem. If your state delivers ballots electronically by fax only, be sure to include your fax number. If you request electronic delivery and include your email address or fax number, you’ll receive your blank ballot 45 days before general and mid-term elections and generally 30 days before special, primary, and run-off elections for federal offices. Most states now have voter registration verification websites, and many offer a means of tracking the status of your registration and ballot.

IMPORTANT NOTE: States are no longer required to automatically send ballots to voters for an entire election cycle so everyone who wants to vote in U.S. elections from overseas should send in a new Federal Post Card Application in January of each year.

For more information, you can consult the Voting Assistance Guide on-line at or contact our voting team at the Embassy by email,