General Information and How to Apply
Welcome to the Non-Immigrant Visa Section of the U.S. Embassy in Cairo. This Section provides visa services to Egyptians and citizens of other countries who reside in Egypt and would like to travel temporarily the United States. Visitors may travel to the United States for business or pleasure. We process non-immigrant visas for many different purposes, including but not limited to students, temporary workers, journalists, and religious leaders. If your purpose of travel is other than business or pleasure, you will need to apply for a visa in the appropriate category. Click on the left navigation bar for more information on visa types, or to begin your application, please go to http://www.ustraveldocs.com/eg.
Third-country nationals are free to apply. Please note that many third-country nationals are required to pay an additional issuance fee. The fee differs according to the nationality of the applicant and is based on reciprocity between the applicant’s country and the U.S.
Please Plan Ahead!
Please plan ahead and schedule early.
Due to the current demand for visa appointments, you may experience a delay. Demand for visas varies seasonally therefore please check here for Visa Wait Times.
Step 1: Complete the Visa Application
Individuals wishing to visit the United States must create an online profile at http://www.ustraveldocs.com/eg and follow all instructions given on the website. After this, they will be directed to https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/ to complete an application. While the applicant may designate someone to fill out the application, he or she must electronically sign it and is responsible for all of the information contained within it. Upon completion of the application, the applicant must print out the deposit slip from the confirmation page.
Step 2: Payment of the Application Fee
Each applicant must get a CGI deposit slip from the traveldocs website and visit a participating CIB Bank branch and pay the Machine Readable Visa (MRV) fee. You will need to keep the payment receipt for when you schedule the interview.
Step 3: Scheduling of appointment
Applicants log on to http://www.ustraveldocs.com/eg or call +20-2-3531-1460 or 16872 (from within Egypt) and schedule an appointment using their CGI confirmation number on the receipt.
An applicant who needs an interview but has not scheduled an appointment through the Visa Appointment System will not be allowed into the Embassy to apply for a visa. Each individual in your traveling party will need a separate appointment. Children under the age of 14 must have appointments as well. A separate application fee must be paid for each child and a separate application MUST be completed and a recent picture attached.
To make an emergency non-immigrant visa appointment with the U.S. Embassy in Cairo, please visit http://www.ustraveldocs.com/eg/eg-niv-expeditedappointment.asp.
Step 4: Interview appearance
Each applicant must bring in a copy of his CEAC confirmation page, passport, and a photo. Additional documents may be brought depending on the type of visa – please see the links to the left for further information. All applicants under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Other applicants may be accompanied by someone not applying for a visa in certain limited cases that must be preapproved at the time of scheduling the appointment.
Please refer below for information regarding photo requirements:
Sample of Photograph Size
It is very important to bring the correct photo on the day of your interview. If it is not correct, you will have to reschedule your interview,resulting in a delay of your travel.
- Photo size must be 5 x 5 cm (2” x 2”). Photo must be original, taken within the past 6 months, and show current appearance.
- Photo must be color. Background must be plain white.
- Photo must be in sharp focus, and correctly exposed (not too dark or too light).
- Photo must be taken from a straight frontal view, showing full face including both ears.
- Facial dimensions must be between 2.5 cm and 3.5 cm from the top of the head to the bottom of the chin.
- Photo cannot be digitally altered. Scanning old photos to insert a white background is not acceptable.
- Photo should show normal
- Uniforms should not be worn except for religious attire that is worn daily.
- Hats/headgear obscuring the hair or hairline are not allowed. Headgear worn for religious purposes is acceptable provided that the face is uncovered.
- Dark or non-prescription glasses with tinted lenses are not acceptable. Prescription glasses, hearing devices, wigs or similar articles, should be shown if normally worn.