Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Report Birth Abroad

Application for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, First U.S. Passport, and Social Security Number for Your Child

If you are a citizen of the United States and qualify to transmit U.S. citizenship to your child born abroad, you should document your child’s U.S. citizenship with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA). The CRBA is an official record of U.S. citizenship issued to a person under the age of 18 who was born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent(s) and acquired U.S citizenship at birth.

Do you qualify to transmit U.S. citizenship to your child?

Your child will be eligible to receive a U.S. passport only after their CRBA has been approved. Because all fees are non-refundable, we recommend that you do not pay the passport application fee until after the CRBA is approved. You should, however, fill out the passport form before your CRBA appointment.

How to apply for a CRBA and first U.S. passport for your child:



1. FORM DS-2029: Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America

  • Complete online and print out Form DS-2029.
  • If the U.S. citizen parent of the child will not be present during the interview, he/she needs to complete page 4 (section 29) of the DS-2029. The U.S. citizen parent must sign this section before a notary public in the U.S. or a U.S. Consular Officer at a U.S. embassy or consulate.

2. Original, Photocopy, and Certified English Translation of Birth Certificate for the Child

  • If you live in Egypt, the birth of the child should be registered within the first 14 days at the Egyptian health office in the district where the child was born. Upon registration, the Egyptian health office will issue an Egyptian birth certificate for any child born in Egypt. Failure to register the birth within the first 14 days will result in a lengthy registration process.

3. Original, Photocopy, and Certified English Translation of Hospital, Doctor, or Midwife Certificate for the Child

4. Original, Photocopy, and Certified English Translation of Marriage/Divorce Certificate for the Parents

  • If the parents are married, please provide the original marriage certificate.
  • If either parent has been married previously, please provide the original divorce decree, annulment, or death certificate of the former spouse(s).
  • If the parents were not married at the time of the child’s conception, please provide proof of the existence of the relationship at that time, such as time-stamped photos, lease agreements, receipts, and financial statements.

5. Original and Photocopy of U.S. Passport of the U.S. Citizen Parent(s)

  • The U.S. citizen parent intending to transmit citizenship to the child must provide his/her U.S. passport. If the U.S. citizen parent is not in Egypt, a notarized copy of the U.S. passport must be submitted.
  • A U.S. birth certificate or naturalization certificate is also acceptable.

6. Original and Photocopy of Identification Document of the Non-U.S. Citizen Parent

  • The current passport is the preferred form of identification.

7. Proof of Physical Presence/Residence in the U.S.

  • The transmitting U.S. citizen parent needs to provide documentary evidence of physical presence/residence that he/she lived in the U.S. long enough to transmit citizenship to his/her child.
  • How long is long enough? That will depend on whether the parents are married, and whether one or both is a U.S. citizen.
  • Please provide your expired and current U.S. and foreign passports showing entry to and exit from the U.S. For expired passports, please submit the originals. For current passports, please submit colored photocopies of ALL pages.
  • How you prove you were physically present will depend on your situation. There is no one-size-fits-all answer. Even if you provide original passports, a Consular Officer may request additional documentation. Examples of other documentary evidence include academic transcripts, military records, and/or employment records.
  • If you have registered the birth of another child born overseas with a U.S. embassy before, please submit the original CRBA for that child.

8. Photocopies of Original Documents

If you do not provide photocopies of the original required documents, you will be charged a fee of $1 per page per the consular fee schedule.


You must SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT to both submit your CRBA application to the ACS Unit and to pay the fee in person to the Cashier for this service.


You must submit all original documents and their photocopies with the application at this time. In order to minimize the number of times you and your family are required to appear at the Embassy, it is best if both parents and the child appear for this initial interview, with the completed form DS-2029 for CRBA, completed form DS-11 for passport (see below), and ALL required documents.

Anyone with a scheduled appointment can hand-deliver the CRBA application to the ACS Unit at Embassy Cairo. The address for Embassy Cairo is 5 Tawfik Diab Street, Garden City, Cairo.

The non-refundable application fee for a CRBA is $100. You will pay the fee in person to the Cashier at the time you appear at the Embassy.

If additional documents are required, you must submit them with 90 days. Any case left at the ACS Unit for more than 90 days will be administratively closed. If the case is closed and you want to reapply for a CRBA, you will need to submit a new CRBA application and pay another fee.


Once the ACS Unit receives the CRBA application, the Consular Officer will review the DS-2029 and required documents. The ACS Unit will notify you if additional information or a second interview is needed. If both parents and child did not appear at initial interview, they will be required to appear at this time. If the Consular Officer has enough information to proceed, then notice of your CRBA application result will be sent via DHL using the address you provided.


The Embassy will not accept phone calls regarding CRBA applications. Inquiries about CRBA applications should be submitted via email to with your child’s name and date of birth clearly stated.


If you decide to apply for your minor child's first passport with the CRBA application, you will need to prepare the following form and required documents:

1. FORM DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport

a.  Complete online, print out, and submit Form DS-11 with the CRBA application.

b. Do NOT sign it because you will need to sign it in the presence of the Consular Officer.

2. Passport Photo for the Child

3. Proof of Parental Relationship

  •  Examples of documents that may be used as evidence of parental relationship are foreign birth certificate, adoption decree, and CRBA.

4. Proof of Identity for Parents

  • This can be any valid, government-issued ID such as a U.S. passport, U.S. driver’s license, or foreign passport.
  • If the child is 16/17 years old, they will also need photo I.D. (such as a foreign passport or driver’s license).

5. Two Parent Consent Requirement

If the applying child is under 16 years of age, both of his/her parents must provide consent to the issuance of the passport.

a. If both parents are present at the interview, you MUST:

  •  Appear in person with the minor.
  •  Sign Form DS-11 in front of a Consular Officer.

b. If one parent is present at the interview, you MUST:

  • Appear in person with the minor.
  • Sign Form DS-11 in front of a Consular Officer.
  • Submit the second parents' Statement of Consent (FORM DS-3053), signed and notarized within the last three months. The absent parent must submit a copy of the valid photo ID referenced in Form DS-3053.

c. If the one parent present at interview has sole legal custody, you MUST:

i. Appear in person with the minor.

ii. Sign Form DS-11 in front of a Consular Officer.

iii. Submit primary evidence of sole authority to apply for the child with one of the following:

  • Minor's certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate listing only the applying parent.
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form DS-2029) or Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) listing only the applying parent.
  • Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (unless child's travel is restricted by that order).
  • Adoption decree (if applying parent is sole adopting parent).
  • Court order specifically permitting applying parent's or guardian's travel with the child.
  • Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent.
  • Death certificate of non-applying parent.

d. If a third party, non-parent is applying on behalf of a minor under the age of 16 you MUST:

  • Submit a notarized written statement or affidavit from either parents or guardians authorizing a third-party to apply for a passport, and signed and notarized within the last three months.
  • When the statement of affidavit is from only one parent/guardian, the third-party must present evidence of sole custody of the authorizing parent/guardian.

e. Exigent/Special Family Circumstances

  • If none of the above documentation is available, the applying parent must submit Form DS-5525 (Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances) stating why the non-applying parent/guardian's consent cannot be obtained.
  • The statement must explain in detail the non-applying parent's or guardian's unavailability and recent efforts made to contact the non-applying parent.
  • The applying parent also may be required to provide evidence (e.g., custody order, incarceration order, restraining order) to document his/her claim of exigent or special circumstances.

6. Fee Payment

7. Delivery

  • After your application for a CRBA and/or U.S. passport are approved, the certificate and/or passport will be sent to you via DHL. Because these documents are printed in the United States, you can expect that they will arrive to you in approximately five weeks.


If your child is under the age of five and you are applying for both a CRBA and a first U.S. passport, after you receive the child’s CRBA and U.S. passport then you may submit to the ACS Unit the application for a Social Security Number Card. The required documents are the FORM SS-5, copies of the child’s CRBA and U.S. passport, and a copy of the U.S. citizen parent’s passport.

If the U.S. citizen parent is out of Egypt, then he/she needs to submit a notarized copy of his/her U.S. passport and a notarized Form SS-5. You can appear for this service without scheduling an appointment during Federal Benefits drop-in hours – Mondays and Wednesdays, from 11am-1pm. It will generally take up to one year for the child’s Social Security Number Card to be mailed from the United States to you if you apply from Embassy Cairo. Applications filed from inside the United States are processed more quickly.

Adobe Reader

  • Adobe reader All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.