American Citizens Services accepts passport applications for U.S. citizens living in Egypt and for travelers in need of assistance.
Whether it’s your first passport or you’re renewing, you should receive your new passport after 10 working days. We urge you to plan ahead and to apply two months prior to your passport’s expiration. Click here to make your appointment online. The Embassy is open for passport applications from 9AM to 12PM, Sunday through Wednesday, except during Egyptian and American holidays. The consular section is unable to accept appointment requests via telephone.
Please be aware, applying for a passport while outside the United States is a different process from applying while inside the United States. If you are applying outside of the United States, DO NOT follow the submission instructions on the application form. Before making an appointment, all applicants should review the State Department’s guide to Applying for a U.S. Passport from Outside the United States. Passport application forms are available for download here.
All passport applicants must:
- Make a personal appearance.
- Complete the appropriate application form including local and U.S. addresses and Social Security Number (if issued).
- Provide a passport photo 2 x 2 inches (5 x 5 cm) in size. Please review photo requirements here.
- Bring their previous U.S. passport and a copy of the photo page, if renewing.
- Pay the passport fee in U.S. dollars or the equivalent in Egyptian Pounds.
- Be able to provide supporting documents verifying citizenship and identity. Supporting documentation could include photos showing age progression, a school ID or driving license, or documents showing evidence of citizenship.
Children under 16 must also:
- Provide an original U.S. birth certificate (or Consular Report of Birth Abroad) and a photocopy of the same.
- Apply with both parents. Parents must appear at the Embassy with a valid passport, U.S. residency card, or Egyptian national ID. (Please read here about special circumstances regarding parental consent.)
If your passport was lost or stolen, you must also:
- Complete form DS-64.
- Bring an Egyptian police report with the details of the loss or theft. (You must also show this report to the Egyptian Immigration Office to have an entry stamp placed onto your new passport. Obtain this report from the police station closest to where the passport was lost or stolen.)
If you need to add visa pages to your passport, you must:
- Complete form DS-4085 and pay the appropriate fees.
If you want to apply for a Replacement of Naturalization Certificate, please click here.
For further inquiries, please send an email to ConsularCairoACS@state.gov.