For renewals, we urge you to plan ahead and to apply six (6) months prior to your passport’s expiration. Many countries require a minimum of six (6) months validity as the standard for getting a visitor’s visa. Some airlines will not let you board a flight to these countries without six (6) months validity on your passport.
Whether it’s your first passport or you’re renewing, you will need to make an appointment online first (Click here to make your appointment online). The Embassy’s American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit is open for passport applications from 8:45 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. Sunday through Wednesday, except during Egyptian and American holidays. The ACS unit section is unable to accept appointment requests via telephone.
Please be aware, applying for a passport while outside the United States is a different process from applying while inside the United States. Before making an appointment, all applicants should review the State Department’s guide to Applying for a U.S. Passport from Outside the United States. Passport application forms are available for download here. All applicants are expected to arrive for their appointments with their application completely filled out and with all the necessary documentation.
Once the passport has been approved, you should expect to receive your new passport within four to six weeks. Consider that when deciding your application timeline and make sure you have enough time to schedule an appointment and receive your passport before any planned travel.
If you require an emergency passport due to a lost/stolen passport, there is no need to make an appointment. Simply come to the ACS Unit any business day from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. with the Egyptian Police report.
All passport applicants must:
- Make a personal appearance.
- Complete the appropriate application form including local and U.S. addresses and Social Security Number (if issued).
- Provide a passport photo 2 x 2 inches (5 x 5 cm) in size. Please review photo requirements here. To see sample photos, click here (PDF 776 KB).
- Bring their previous U.S. passport and a copy of the photo page, if renewing.
- Pay the passport fee in U.S. dollars or the equivalent in Egyptian Pounds.
- Be able to provide supporting documents verifying citizenship and identity. Supporting documentation could include photos showing age progression, a school ID or driving license, or documents showing evidence of citizenship.
Children under 16 must also:
- Provide an original U.S. birth certificate (or Consular Report of Birth Abroad) and a photocopy of the same.
- Apply with both parents. Parents must appear at the Embassy with a valid passport, U.S. residency card, or Egyptian national ID. (Please read here about special circumstances regarding parental consent.)
If your passport was lost or stolen, you must also:
- Complete form DS-64.
- Bring an Egyptian police report with the details of the loss or theft. (You must also show this report to the Egyptian Immigration Office to have an entry stamp placed onto your new passport. Obtain this report from the police station closest to where the passport was lost or stolen.)
If you need to add visa pages to your passport, you must:
- Complete form DS-4085 and pay the appropriate fees.
If you want to apply for a Replacement of Naturalization Certificate, please click here.
For further inquiries, please send an email to ConsularCairoACS@state.gov.
- All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format. To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download a free version by clicking the link above.